Google announced during the last days of 2021 that legacy Google voice won’t be available for personal accounts from February. Legacy Google voice allows you to easily change your Google Voice number without stress but the narrative has changed.
Now, you have to first clear or delete your old Google Voice number before you can get a new Google Voice number.
The Google voice app comes with features, such as:
- Making and receiving calls.
- Call forwarding
- Receiving text messages
- Voicemail message feature
- Call recording feature e.t.c
Without the use of a physical sim installed on their mobile devices.
Also, have it in mind that the Google voice app is only available for Android devices but can be accessed by iOS and other devices via their website. (Voice.google.com)
Now, without wasting much time let’s learn how to change a Google voice number.
How to Change your Google Voice number
Although it’s possible to change your Google Voice number from the mobile app, we’ll be using the web version for this article since the app doesn’t work for every device.
- On your browser, open Google Voice webpage
- Sign in to your account using your Google account used in claiming your number.
Click on Settings at the top right corner
- You’ll be taken to your Account page where you can see your claimed Google Voice numbers.
- Click on Clear or Delete > then Clear number to permanently delete your Google Voice number.
That’s all on Clearing your Google Voice number, now to claim a new number… Continue reading
- You should get a prompt saying “You don’t have a Google Voice number”, click on the “Get a Number” link
- Finally, enter your zip code and search for a number in your preferred area.
- Click on select when you find the one that suits your preferences l then proceed to pay a one-time $10 fee to claim the new google voice number.
Remember you can also port your number to Google voice by clicking on the “Wear a number” option in your dashboard to transfer a number from your carrier to Google voice.
I hope with this guide you’ve been able to change your Google Voice number successfully without hassle.
Let’s check out some frequently asked questions about Google voice.
CAN I USE GOOGLE VOICE ON MY IPHONE?
Yes, you can always access Google Voice from the website (voice.google.com) and log into your Google Voice number account.
CAN I INSTALL THE GOOGLE VOICE APP ON MY IPHONE?
No, the app is only available for Android devices but you can always log in to your account using their website (voice.google.com)
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I CHANGE MY GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER?
You can change your Google voice number as many times as you like as long as you’ve got the $10 fee to pay for every change initiated.
IS GOOGLE’S VOICE NUMBER PERMANENT?
Yes, it is, as long as you don’t abandon it for up to 6 months, Google usually enlist dormant Google voice numbers for purchase by another user.
That’s all on how to transfer your Google Voice number. Kindly share and drop a comment below.